Thursday, December 3, 2009

Oh No Not Again!

I'm sick again. 2nd time in a month. This time I've come down with strep throat. Never had that before and I can tell you it's not fun at all - had no idea that it felt like razor blades in my throat each time I swallow.

Anyway, my plans to decorate for Christmas are on hold for a few days until I feel better. The doctor has me on antibiotics and they are working well after only 24 hours so hopefully by the weekend I'll be back to my old self. In the meantime I was looking back at some pictures I took last weekend.

The burning bush has lost just about all of leaves.


The berries look lovely and have become the perfect feast for my feather friends. Soon even those berries will be gone once the birds finish them up.


Our holly tree is standing proudly in the yard. It's huge - probably 20 feet high and looks so festive this time of year. After a snowfall it is even more beautiful and a perfect place for cardinals to perch.

Every December I clip a few branches so I've got some fresh holly in the house. I use it in vases, on the mantel, and tucked under arrangements.



While I was out in the yard last weekend I saw some carrot tops poking through one of the raised beds. Amazingly there were two baby carrots underneath that I could harvest. It was a nice surprise and they were deliciously sweet.


Well a nice hot cup of tea with honey is calling my name. I've got the DVD machine loaded and I'm ready to a watch a movie. At least being sick gives me an excuse to cuddle up with Ellie and relax in the middle of the day.

8 comments:

Kelly (The Sorry Gardener) said...

I love your holly tree. It's so pretty. Mr. Sorry's grandparents had a huge old holly tree at their house, and I always think of them (even more than Christmas) when I see holly now.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Sorry to hear you're sick again Jackie. Hope you and Ellie enjoyed the movie.
The holly tree is really pretty, I've only seen them as large shrubs around here.

Anonymous said...

I'm terribly sorry you are so sick. Hopefully the meds will work quickly and you will get to enjoy decorating for Christmas. Thanks for sharing the pretty pictures. I love that holly especially.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie,
Sending get well wishes your way. Christmas decorating can wait until you are feeling better:)

Hugs,
LeAnn

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie~~ Razor blades in the throat. Yep, sounds about right. It's a killer, isn't it? I'm glad the antibiotics are kicking in. You forgot to tell us which movie you're watching. :)

Carrots right out of the ground really are sweet, aren't they? I love your holly. Nearby there is a tree that sticks out close to the road, fair game if you ask me. I usually get me a bunch. Take care!

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

You poor thing, I hope you are feeling well again soon.

sweetbay said...

Sorry you to hear that you have strep! I remember having that as a kid, it's miserable.

The Burning Bush and Holly are beautiful.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Carol said...

Strep throat ... be careful to rest plenty. I used to have this often as a child. No fun I know. Lovely holly! How lovely to find carrots you had not expected! Hope you feel better soon. Carol