In spite of all this, I planted them anyway (top view from my porch)... Notice my lovely brick laying skills.
What am I experimenting? Well apparently how best to neglect pea seedlings and see if they'll still produce.
It all started off with me sowing the peas indoors - MISTAKE #1.
Then it was leaving the pea seedlings outside in torrential rains for almost 10 days straight - MISTAKE #2.
(Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit, but suffice it to say it rained a lot.)
Finally, it was putting them in an ill-prepared bed that is only partially sunny for most of the day - MISTAKE #3.
Well... not actually the final mistake because that would be when I left the seed tray sitting in the middle of the grass where Ellie thought they'd be a comfy place to sit - meaning that now most of their stems are broken.
There she is sitting on some perennial shoots.... she's not on the peas yet... that was her next move.
And, I planted ALL of them... all 24 seedlings in a 4x6 rocky bed... HA... I'll show them! I figured maybe I'll get lucky with just one of the 24 and get a handful of peas. Anyway, since at this point the odds are low that they'll do anything I decided to plant them in a less than good spot - reserving the best beds for the seedlings that have a better chance of survival (actually the pic makes the soil look much worse than it actually is. It's been amended with lots of compost, manure, and peat moss for drainage).
To make matters worse, I didn't want to go through the trouble of setting up a nice vining system with string, so I just shoved in these green metal trellis that I bought at Lowes last year (these things actually worked great with the cucumbers). ...Can you tell I'm getting annoyed with these peas? Anyway, I didn't put much thought into how I'd put the trellis in there or how I'd harvest around them, so now I'll be playing my own version of the game Twister if these peas actually produce. I can just see it now... I'll try to harvest my first peas in the middle of the bed and fall flat on top of them thereby sealing any last chance they had a survival.
As you can see there's lots of things poking through and doing really well (thank goodness something is...). I did a lot of work here this weekend moving things around, fertilizing, weeding, and digging out the Asiatic lilies (I had no choice but to pull them since they were already infested with the lily beetle).
Notice the white petals that have fallen on the bed from a nearby flowering tree. It's snowing petals and I'll be busy cleaning that up soon too.
Here's what's planted in the bed (sorry I only know the common names):
Bearded Tongue (Penstemon)
Mrs. Bradshaw Geum
American Dream Coreopsis